Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Overview
As a respected leader within the global financial community, the IMA influences the concepts and ethical practices in management accounting and financial management worldwide. Consequently, the Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification offered by the IMA is the "gold standard" of qualification and expertise of those professionals engaged in management accounting and financial management.
CMA candidates need to pass 2 examinations. The exams can be taken in any order.
Part One: Financial Reporting, Planning, Performance, and Control
- 15% External Financial Reporting Decisions
- 30% Planning, Budgeting, and Forecasting
- 20% Performance Management
- 20% Cost Management
- 15% Internal Controls
Part Two: Financial Decision Making
- 25% Financial Statement Analysis
- 20% Corporate Finance
- 20% Decision Analysis
- 10% Risk Management
- 15% Investment Decisions
- 10% Professional Ethics
Benefits of CMA Certification
Research indicates that the CMA designation leads to much faster career advancement. IMA certified CMA's have average compensation that is considerably higher than for non-certified professionals. The CMA's have a competitive advantage in the workforce through:
- Communicating broad business competency and strategic financial mastery
- Obtaining contemporary professional knowledge and develop skills and abilities that are valued by successful businesses
- Conveying commitment to an exemplary standard of excellence that is grounded on a strong ethical foundation and lifelong learning
- Be a member of the Institute of Management Accountants. You can submit an application for IMA membership with your application to enroll in the CMA program. Complete the certification information section on the IMA application and register for the CMA examination.
- Pass both parts of the CMA examination.
- Fulfill or expect to fulfill the Educational Requirements.
- Be employed or expect to be employed in a position that meets the Experience requirement.
- Be of good moral character.
- Comply with the Standards of Ethical Conduct.
Visit the IMA website for more information on education and experience requirements, fees, exam procedures, waivers, study guides and other aspects of certification.
CMA Courses (via web)
The Greater Philadelphia Chapter has partnered with CMA University to provide online CMA review courses. Greater Philadelphia chapter members receive an 8% discount off of the registration fee when enrolling for their first course with CMA University. Enter the promotion code "IMA" when checking out. Two course options:
- Live online courses delivered via the Internet
- Self paced course with an Instructor "At Your Own Pace"
At Your Own Pace Courses
Need structure and discipline to prepare for the CMA exam but cannot commit to weekly classes? With this option, you will work with an Instructor via conference calls and web meetings at times that fit your busy schedule. Materials include test prep software download with hundreds of multiple choice, true/false and essay questions. Start anytime. More about At Your Own Pace courses
Upcoming Live Online Courses
Courses are starting soon. Visit CMA University Courses to register and obtain more information.
CMA Self Study
Greater Philadelphia Chapter of the IMA Chapter has partnered with Gleim for a self-study option that will provide you the necessary tools to prepare for this difficult exam.
- The Gleim Review System enables you to identify your weak areas so you know where to focus your efforts. The Gleim CMA Review System GUARANTEES that you will pass each exam part the first time because we maximize knowledge transfer while minimizing your time, frustration, and cost utilizing a multimedia approach.
- As a member of the chapter, you are eligible for significant discounts on any of Gleim's CMA materials, as well as Gleim CPE. To take advantage of the reduced prices, please contact our chapter representative, Melissa Leonard.
(800) 874-5346, Ext. 131
attn: Melissa Leonard
Greater Philadelphia Chapter Order Form